Tenant FAQs

Answers to your frequently asked questions

  • Can you hold a place before I apply?

    No. We begin processing rental applications once we have applications for everyone over the age of 18 who will occupy a property. Minor dependents do not need to apply. Once an application is approved, all occupants will sign a Rental Reservation form acknowledging that they plan to occupy on the agreed upon date and pay an amount equal to one month’s rent as a non-refundable reservation fee. Once we have the form and fee, we will take the property off the market and hold for your lease signing and move-in.
  • Do I pay first month’s rent and last month’s rent with my security deposit?

    You will pay a non-refundable Rent Reservation fee, equal in amount to one month’s rent, as soon as your application is approved. This fee will convert to your first month’s rent when you move into the property. We will collect your Security Deposit when you move into the home.
  • How old do you have to be to apply?

    In Georgia, you must be at least 18 years of age to enter into a legal agreement, including a rental agreement. The owners of some of the homes we manage have additional age restrictions for financially responsible tenants occupying the home.
  • Is the deposit refundable?

    Yes. Your security deposit is deposited in a Trust bank account into which only tenant security deposit funds are deposited. Your security deposit will be returned to you within a month of your move-out net any funds retained from property damages, normal wear and tear excepted, or amounts required to fulfill any unpaid charges, including but not limited to rent, utilities, late fees, etc.
  • Who needs a cosigner?

    When an application cannot be approved on the basis of our credit, income and residential history criteria, we can, on occasion, and with the property owner’s approval, grant a conditional approval. Conditional approvals usually require additional security deposit to mitigate financial risk for the property owner. We cannot make this decision alone and must get the approval from the property owner before offering a conditional approval.
  • You have a property I want to rent. How do I apply?

    Our application is online. Go to the Properties section of the site and find the listing page for the property for which you wish to apply. From the property listing page, click the “Apply Now” button and you will be taken to our online application.
  • How do I pay rent?

    Our residents have personal, online portals that allow for rent payment from either a bank account or credit card. Bank payments carry no bank, processing or “convenience” fees and are free to you. If you choose to pay by credit card, you will be charged a credit card processing fee by the company that handles this transaction. Atlanta Intown-Your Intown Home does NOT share in any fees from payments that you make with a credit card.
  • I want to get a pet. What do I do?

    Many of our properties are pet friendly with some restrictions. None accept aggressive dog breeds and some do not accept cats. All applicants who apply with pets are directed to www.PetScreening.com to enroll their pet(s) and upload all vaccination records. Current shots and vaccinations are required for all pets in homes managed by Your Intown Home. Tenants will also pay a non-refundable pet fee. Should you decide after moving in that you would like to acquire a pet, the property owner must grant approval. In some cases, the decision to rent will have been made with the understanding that no pets would occupy the property.
  • I want to move out, but my roommate wants to stay. What do I do?

    Any time we end a lease and disburse security deposit funds, we are obligated to conduct a full move-out inspection on behalf of the property owner and so that we can return Security Deposits to the tenants. A move-out inspection requires that the home be completely empty and the keys turned in to us.

    In the event some roommates are staying and some are moving, we require that all incoming roommates apply using our standard application. We do not complete a formal move-out and security deposit disposition. We keep all original tenants on the lease document and add the new tenants to the original lease document and any renewal documents. All tenants on the lease remain responsible for damages to the property and payment of rent. Exiting tenants may not look to Your Intown Home for return of security deposit funds at the time of the roommate switch, but may make private arrangements with incoming residents to exchange funds if they wish. At the time of final move-out, the security deposit, net any funds withheld for damage or unpaid charges will be returned to all roommates on the lease as a group and final disbursement to individual roommates will be left to the group to resolve.

  • My lease expiration is coming and I want to move out. What do I do?

    Notice-to-vacate requirements are in your lease, so refer to your lease to determine how far in advance you must give notice.
  • Who is responsible for paying for repairs & maintenance requests?

    The property owner is responsible for maintaining the home in a safe and habitable condition. The owner will be responsible for all structural components and systems in the home. Unless otherwise stated in writing, the tenant will be responsible for all regular ongoing maintenance such as replacing air and water filters, light bulbs and other disposable products around the house. Likewise, in the absence of prior written agreement, the tenant will be responsible for maintaining the lawn and exterior hardscape and surroundings of the home. Tenants will also be responsible for any repairs caused by neglect or misuse (accidental or intentional) of the homes components. One common example of a tenant repair item would be clogged plumbing due to the introduction of foreign objects or failure to exclude excessive hair in the drains from tubs and sinks.